Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tomorrow is the big Day!!!

I'm sitting here at 8:30 pm local time entering in today's post. Everyone else in snuggled in their beds snoring (very loudly). We did a little sight seeing today. We went to independence square and went shopping for the bare necessaries. One of the bad things about living in the middle of town is that there aren't big grocery markets nearby. If we don't leave before the weekend, we are going to have to go out any buy some main items. Mainly toilet paper. We were told to bring an emergency ration of paper (by the way, the small rolls located in the camping section of Wal Mart are the perfect size and easily store in suitcases) and we have enough to last at least a couple of days. You can't even get TP from the public restrooms. You pay to use the toilet but you still have to furnish the paper products. WOW. A country boy like me understands using what is at hand, but at least throw us a bone...

I also took my first shower today. Hot water is also a luxury around here. We do have a water heater but it is only on 12 hours a day. Needless to say, the coldness of the first part of the shower just made the warm part that must more enjoyable. All in all we are fairing very good. My son and I sleep on the bed (my wife and I can't sleep on a bed smaller than king size. If we do it is inevitable that I will invade her sleeping space. Retaliation is then swift and merciless. My wife is sleeping on one couch and my moher-in-law is sleeping on the other. It works out.

Now for tomorrow. Our facilitator Gregory (Which I highly recommend) sat down with us and gave us the scoop. Our meeting is at noon tomorrow and our translator (Ira)will be able to go in with us to see and help us at the SDA. This is grea news. It will be a big help having her with us. Next we will be shone girls between 4 and 7 that are available for foreign adoption (Please pray that we will recognize the girl that God has picked out for our family). After that, we will see if we will be able to travel to the orphanage on Friday or over the weekend. Gregory (who I stil highly recommend) told us that unless we can getto the regional office before COB Friday, we will not be able to see the child until Monday. We will be make those plans after our meeting tomorrow.

So from the cool Ukraine (currently 41 and overcast) I bid everyone a good night and we'll update you tomorrow.

Richard
TTFN (Ta Ta For Now)

1 comment:

Larry and Shannon said...

We are enjoying reading about your trip. My brother went to Mariupol a couple of years ago to help teach the gospel. He experienced much of what you are describing, no hot water, no toilet paper, and the "accidental" power outages that happened very frequently. You never knew when the power would be back on. We hope you find your little girl soon and that the Lord will guide you every step of the way. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Love,
Shannon