Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Shopping Adventure


After breakfast we set off to the Toy Store and then the market. The toy store is about 5 blocks past the market. We found another dinosaur egg for Alexander and a puzzle for our entertainment. I had checked out and mother was getting a domino set, when the electricity went out. While Jacob and I were waiting on Mother we checked out the upstairs and lo and behold what do we find but shoes and clothes. I wish we had already explored the upstairs before now but it is just great to be able to find what you are really looking for. I told Jacob to go downstairs and tell Grandma to come upstairs. We previously had Alex try on Jacob’s shoes to see if they would fit and they were a little big but would be ok. So we knew if they were long enough they should fit Alex. A very helpful clerk helped us even though there was the language problem. We found a pair of shoes, which ended up only being about $16 US and then she helped us with a coat. Now we knew that was going to be the big expense. We found a very nice coat, with lots of pockets for about $90 US. Then I asked about underwear. How do you say under garments in Ukrainian? Well we got our meaning across and found what we were looking for. There were several people in line with us and of course the computer/cash register was not working because the electricity was still off. And we did not have enough Hryvnia (Ukrainian money) to pay for the shoes, coat and underwear. The shoes were 156 Hryvnia, underwear 10 Hryvnia and the coat was 756 Hryvnia. (The exchange rate is 8.20 Hryvnia to $1.00) Well between Mother and I we had a little over 400 Hryvnia and even though they took Visa, there was no electricity. So we asked them to hold the coat and I would come back. Then to the market to pick up some things, oh I have been meaning to mention that they have a whole isle with just chocolate on it. Ukrainians love chocolate. Then back to the apartment dropped off Mother and our purchases. Jacob and I got our US money and potty break and then headed back down the stairs. We exchanged our money. The Hryvnia keeps going up. I know that is good for us but bad for the Ukrainians. We were able to walk fast since Mother wasn’t with us. I wanted to check out another store only to find that their electricity was off as well. It looked like an appliance store. Then we headed over to the toy store, to find their electricity was back on and purchased the coat. When we got outside I asked Jacob if he wanted to do anything else, he said he wanted to go look at the flea market, which was very close. We said we would look just in the front part, so we would not get lost. Jacob found a pretty scarf for Grandma. We look for a few more minutes then head apartment home. I took a different way and found some other people selling cross stitch tablecloths, shirts and dollies and few other craft things. I told Jacob we needed to bring Grandma back to show her. Well by now Jacob is getting very tired and very cold. I quit looking and walk quickly back to our apartment.

When we got back it was already 2:00pm and little time to do school. Had lunch and read a bit. Our visit with Alex (his pet name is Sasha) went well. He was excited with the new dinosaur egg and played with that a lot. He is still responding well to learning new words. I had written down in Russian that we were going to bring him clothes and shoes in a few days and take him to America. I don’t know if he got all of the meaning but I think he got the most of it. It seems that the hour and half is flying by now and we had to leave. Jacob is anxious to be able to play with him all day. When we got outside to go to the taxi you definitely tell the temperature had dropped. Back in the apartment is cool and I am thankful we have an electric heater as well as the radiators. After supper I started our new puzzle, Mother started listening to Sense and Sensibility on my ipod and cross stitched, and Jacob watched a Star Wars movie. Just a few more days. You can tell I am wanting to come home. I hope I haven’t been to boring. I am very thankful for all of your prayers.
FYI - Be sure to check out Mother's blog. She will really keep up to date if I haven't. Also I have added more pictures to photo link.

1 comment:

Larry and Shannon said...

A store with a whole row of chocolate....now I could really appreciate that! Thanks for the greeting card. It was so pretty. We are looking forward to meeting Alexander. From the photos, it looks like he and Jacob have already bonded. I know you are longing to be home. It won't be much longer now! I'm praying for things to continue to go smoothly and for a safe arrival back on American soil.
Love,
Shannon